Wohnwagen, Reisemobile und Ihr Führerschein: Was Sie wissen müssen

Caravans, motorhomes and your driver's license: what you need to know

Why you should use a speed camera tracker Reading Caravans, motorhomes and your driver's license: what you need to know 4 minutes Next Radarwarner in Deutschland

If you tow a trailer or drive an RV, you're probably familiar with the sheer volume of information related to where, how, and even if you're legally allowed to drive it. Driving large vehicles and getting them registered is a mystery to many, made even more complicated by changes in the law affecting road users based on when they pass their test.

Below we have explained the laws and what they mean for different license holders. You can find more information about the driver's license classes here here .

If you passed your exam before 1997:

  • You can drive a car [B] with a car license
  • With a car driving license you are allowed to drive a car + trailer (trailer up to 3500kg) [BE].
  • You can drive a van (up to 7500 kg) [C1] with a car driver's license
  • You can drive a van + trailer (up to 8250 kg MAM) [C1E] with a car driver's license
  • You can drive a minibus [D1] with a car license
  • You can drive a minibus + trailer (trailer up to 3500kg) [BE] with a car driver's license

If you passed your exam after 1997, the rules are much stricter:

  • You can drive a car [B] with a car license
  • With a car driver's license you can drive a car + trailer (up to 750kg).

However, many older drivers are unaware that they need to renew their license every few years or risk losing those extra privileges.

If you're heading into 70 and still want to tow a caravan or drive your camper - act now! You are expected to renew your license at age 70 and every three years thereafter. If your data is up to date, the DVLA will send you an application form D46P 90 days before your 70th birthday. When completing the form, you must confirm that you meet the vision requirements

However, at 70 there is an additional complication if you want to continue driving your motorhome or caravan.

We don't need to stress the importance of renewing your driver's license - you already know that - but if you passed your test before 1997 and renewed it using the standard renewal process you will lose your C1 entitlement and they can no longer drive vans or mobile homes between 3,500 kg and 7,500 kg .

How do I protect my grandfather rights?

If you passed before 1997, you automatically have grandfather right to a C1 eligibility. If you wish to retain your C1 entitlement after the renewal at age 70, you will need to undergo a medical examination. You must ask your GP for a medical report form to fill out D4 , which your family doctor charges.

We recommend that you keep a copy of your old license with the current entitlement when you renew, in case you lose other entitlements with your new license and need to prove previous entitlements.

To check what types of vehicles you are allowed to drive, view your driver's license information here . If you are still unsure whether you have the correct license or have concerns about renewal, please contact contact the DVLA directly .

If you're in a hurry to get back into the great outdoors this year, take a look at what we have to offer Ventura products and start planning your next adventure. Just don't forget your driver's license!